History of “Uzdrowisko Świnoujście” S.A.
Świnoujście, famous for the most beautiful beach at the Baltic Sea, located on north-western end of Poland, on a few dozen islands, on both sides of the Świna River, is one of the most attractive cities on the Polish coast. The history of Świnoujście as a health resort goes back to the beginnings of the 19th century.
In 1824, when it was announced a seaside resort. In 1826 the first Dom Zdrojowy (Resort House) was built – the center of entertainment and social life of the visitors, and in 1865 the so-called King Wilhelm’s baths. After the dicovery of therapeutic saline sources in 1897 and the construction of proper physiotherapeutic treatment devices and the comments of medical authorities about the medicinal properties of sea climate-Świnoujście became an extremely popular health resort. It entered the 20th century as one of the most popular bathing sites and health resorts of the contemporary Europe. During War World II, the city was damaged in 55%. In the sixties, many pensions destroyed during World War II, were reconstructed in the former architectural shape. On 1 July 1959 Przedsiębiorstwo Państwowe Uzdrowisko w Świnoujściu (State Health Resort in Świnoujście) was created on the basis of the resolution of the Minister of the State Treasury. In December 1998, as a result of commercialization of the state-owned enterprise, it was transformed into Spółka Akcyjna Skarbu Państwa (State-Treasury Joint Stock Company) and adopted its previous name, that is- “Uzdrowisko Świnoujście. On 27 December 2012, a contract was concluded between the State Treasury and the West Pomeranian Voivodeship for the free sale of “Uzdrowisko Świnoujście” S.A. shares.